Saturday 21 July 2007

Harry Potter Mania


My youngest daughter, Kate, and best friend Aimee, ensconced themselves in front of the tv on Friday night to watch (yet again) the four Harry Potter films on DVD. Then at 11.30 they set off into town to join the hundreds of other fans queuing to buy the seventh and last book in the series.
Arriving home at about 1.30am they both got stuck into their new books until falling asleep. Since waking after just a few hours sleep, they've stayed in Kate's bedroom all morning, emerging, with great reluctance, for a bowl of Raisin Wheats to keep them going(though Aimee wouldn't even break for that, so engrossed is she in the story). I don't expect to see either of them again today until they've finished their books.

What a phenomenon this is. I read half a dozen pages of the first book a few years ago, thought it was badly written and never bothered with it again. But obviously I'm in a minority (of one in our household). One thing's for sure: there are going to be a lot of fans with a void in their life now there are no more HP books to look forward to (a bit like us West Wing fans!).

4 comments:

Darlington Councillor said...

There should be a noun to describe the profound irritation felt waiting for your 16-year old son to finish the damn book so his parents can get their hands on it....

Mike said...

It's only a fiver, Nick.

I'm up to chapter ten. I'd offer you my copy when I'm done, but my wife wants it :)

Mike said...

Chapter thirty...

Mike said...

Finished it last night. Anyone want the ending spoliong? :)