Sunday 31 May 2009

Frank Cook: couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

I've had dealings with that Frank Cook, Labour MP for Stockton North, (aka Mr Grumpy) before. It breaks my heart to hear he has been humiliated for claiming back a £5 church donation. He's such a nice, friendly chap.


During the 2005 General Election, when I was Lib Dem candidate in Stockton South, I was asked by the Principal of the Further Education College in Frank's Constituency if I would step in to a Question Time event at the college because our candidate in Stockton North was unavailable on that day. Of course I said yes. However, when Frank heard that I was taking part he refused to do so, saying he would only debate with the candidate from Stockton North. This is despite the fact that at similar events in Stockton South, candidates from both constituencies intermingled. So the students were deprived of hearing our views.


My comment that Frank must have been scared to debate with me made the local paper.


At the Count, where both constituencies were counted in the same hall, there were a few administrative problems, so the counting took a bit longer than usual. When Mr Grumpy got up to make his acceptance speech, instead of thanking the Returning Officer and staff he launched into an attack on them for taking too long. Then he had a go at me, saying he wasn't scared of debating with anyone blah blah blah.


Frankly, it doesn't surprise me that such a mean-spirited man should be trying to claim back a church donation from the tax payer.

No comments: