Monday 2 February 2009

Consultation "a little bit naughty", says Labour Councillor!

Sainsbury's want to extend their edge of town centre Darlington store with more car parking, a petrol station and a customer restaurant. Seems a good idea to me: cheap supermarket petrol near the town centre and more free car parking just across the ring road for the town centre shoppers. I shop there once a month, for pet food mainly. I prefer to use the market and farmers' market (and my own shop) for everything else.

Councillors, shoppers and local residents have been sent an invitation by Sainsbury's to attend a consultation event this Friday and Saturday.

A local Labour Party ward councillor, who personally I like very much, is quoted in the Echo today, saying, "I think that Sainsbury's is being a little bit naughty in guaging community views first." Excuse me! What can she mean? I suspect she's been quoted out of context. Perhaps she meant that ward councillors should have been consulted first. Or is she suggesting the bureaucrats in the Town Hall haven't been consulted yet. I don't know. But it's the real Labour Party all over, isn't it: consultation, but only on our terms. They just don't get it, do they?

No comments: